When it comes to Mother’s Day, there are always loads of refreshing ideas for gifts and surprises. Fathers, on the other hand, are often more difficult to shop for, so we often end up getting them a boring, last-minute gift. If you want to break the mold and treat your dad to a fantastic, handmade gift next father’s Day – we got you covered! This article will help you chose the perfect little surprise for your dad, with the help of handy DIY Father’s Day gift ideas, cool tutorials and nifty presents which you can make yourself, using love, imagination and just a pinch of creativity.
Easy to make Father’s Day Keychain
What you’ll need:
a key ring
some leather cord
decorative beads (optional)
- Cut a 5 inch-long piece of leather cord. Fold it in half and make a cow hitch knot around the key ring. Tighten well!
- String the alphabet beads on the cord so that they spell out a message to your dad (“I love you”, “Best Dad”, etc.)
- Tie the end of the cord into a double knot. If it is too long cut away the unnecessary bit. Add colorful decorative beads of your choice.
Alphabet key chain with a personalized message to your dad – one of the cutest, easiest DIY Father’s Day gift ideas ever! Necessary materials:
Step One: tie the leather cord to the key-ring with a cow hitch knot
Step Two: string the alphabet beads so that they spell out a nice message to your father
Step Three (last step): tie the end of the cord into a double knot
The end result – a beautiful key-chain that’s certain to make your dad smile on his special day!
Personalized mug – one of the coolest DIY Father’s Day gift ideas. An easy-to-make project and the perfect gift for dads who love coffee!
What you’ll need:
a white or lightly colored ceramic mug
a bowl made of tin foil
a few drops of nail polish in your preferred color
a wooden skewer (if desired)
- Fill the bowl with lukewarm water. Add several drops of nail polish and wait for them to expand. (If you’d like to quicken the process you could use a wooden skewer to disperse the polish.)
- Dip the mug into the mixture to create the desired decorative effect. You can use a nail polish remover to make the pattern more interesting or to get rid of any unnecessary bits of nail polish (for example inside the mug or on its bottom).
- Carefully dry the mug with a paper towel. When you are satisfied with the design, let the mug dry for at least two hours.
Easy to make personalized coffee mug for your coffee-loving dad. Necessary materials:
Fill a tin fil bowl with water, add a few drops of nail polish and wait for them to expand
Dip the mug in the mixture, wipe with a paper towel and leave to dry
Colorful Customized Coaster
What you’ll need:
cork coasters (you can find them in IKEA or other homeware stores)
- Stick some masking tape on the coasters, forming a pattern. You can stick them symmetrically or make a more abstract design.
- Paint each section with acrylic paint, using your preferred colors.
- Wait for the coaster to dry. Ready!
Another one of our child-friendly DIY Father’s Day gift ideas – hand painted cork coaster
Use masking tape to create cool shapes and then paint with acrylics
The end result – beautiful personalized coasters that are easy and fun to make and will add a splash of color to your dad’s life
A clever remote control box made from a book
What you’ll need:
a suitable hardcover book (make sure it’s at least 2 inches longer and half a centimeter deeper than your remote)
an x-acto precision knife
a small piece of ribbon
some multipurpose glue and brush
Using the brush, spread some glue evenly between the back cover and the opposite page. Close the book and press firmly for about ten seconds.
Open the front cover and brush some glue on the outside of the pages all around the book. Let it dry for an hour and then repeat. Close the book, put something heavy on it and let it dry again but this time for 24 hours.
On the next day, open the front cover of the book, place the remote control in the center of the first page and trace its outlines with a pencil. Then put away the remote and use the x-acto precision knife to cut along the outline, removing two – three pages at a time. Continue until you reach the needed depth.
Finally, cut a piece of ribbon to serve as a bookmark. Its length should be half of the total length of the book plus one inch. Glue the ribbon to the bottom of the remote control compartment and – voilà- you have your finished remote control box!
A cool and unique DIY idea for Father’s Day – a remote control box made from a book
A leather cable organizer for massy dads!
What you’ll need:
a piece of faux leather (at least 18 inches long and 6 inches wide)
several snap buttons
an x-acto knife
a metal ruler
a cutting mat
Using this piece of faux leather you can make one of three different organizers – a small, a medium or a large one. The small organizer is 5,5 inches tall and 5 inches wide, with a 3,25 inch flap. It’s perfect for storing your dad’s phone charger. The medium one has the following dimensions: 12/6/4,25. There is enough space in it for a charger, headphones, a USB cable and even an extra cable. Finally, the big organizer, with its 18/5,5/3,75 dimensions can hold a laptop charger, headphones, as well as various other cables and phone accessories.
- First decide what organizer size you would like to make and cut the faux leather accordingly (for this tutorial, we decided to go with the medium size).
- Use the x-acto knife and a metal ruler to cut small strips of fabric which will act as cable loops.
- Insert the chargers, cables, headphones, etc. in the loops and wrap the faux leather around them. Then, mark the place where the roll meets the flap with a pencil.
- Insert the snap buttons and close. Perfect!
To make things even easier, here are a few photos explaining the process step-by-step. If your dad keeps misplacing his charger or losing his earphones, he is sure to love this nifty DIY organizer!
Multipurpose hand printed fabric – great for wrapping presents
What you’ll need:
a sheet of craft foam paper (you will use it to cut out the desired stamp-shape, we advise you to use a stencil for more precision)
something to use as a stamp stand (a cork bottle stopper or a small wooden block, for example)
a piece of felt and a small plastic container to be used as ink tray (you can use a jar lid, for example)
a piece of fabric
- The first thing you need to do is create your stamp. Draw the desired shape on regular paper, trace it on a sheet of foam paper and then cut it out, as precisely as possible.
- Stick the foam shape to your stamp stand.
- Now it’s time to make your ink tray. Put some paint in the chosen plastic container and place the piece of felt on top. The felt should absorb the paint and form a colorful stain. If needed, add more paint.
- Finally, dip the stamp you created in the tray and then stamp a pattern on the prepared piece of fabric. Done! You can use the fabric to wrap your dad’s gift or sew it into something special
Natural organic shaving oil to pamper your dad
Ingredients and preparation:
1 part grape seed oil
1 part olive oil
a few drops of essential oil (we recommend sandalwood or cedar oil)
To prepare the shaving oil, you simply need to mix all the ingredients together. The ratio between grape seed oil and olive oil should ideally be 50/50 but you can experiment with other combinations and add more essential oil if necessary.
Our final tutorial is not only simple but healthy too!
For more brilliant ideas for DIY Father’s Day gifts, check out these cool vlogs:
Need more bonding time with your dad? How about this awesome idea – write some activities you’d love to do with your dad on pieces of paper and put them in a jar. You can decorate the jar with ribbons or stickers. You can pick a new, fun activity every week!
A hand decorated photo album, full of precious memories. One of the most special DIY Father’s Day gift ideas, perfect for sentimental dads!
A cool idea for younger kids – a handmade Number 1 medal for the best dad in the world!
Here is another idea for customized coasters, this time with family photos.
If your dad is a barbeque connoisseur, why not surprise him with a gourmet barbecue set, complete with several sauces, condiments and, naturally, a can or bottle of beer.
DIY Father’s Day gift ideas don’t get any cuter than this! Adorable and easy to make, this card is another fun project for smaller children…
…as is this cute “5 Things I love About Dad” craft, made from ice cream sticks!
If your dad loves travelling and adventure, why not make him a personalized scrapbooking travel diary?
This mustached mug is a fun and original idea that’s also incredibly easy to make! Add this to your list of must-try DIY Father’s Day gift ideas!
Alternatively, you could make a really unique Father’s Day card using cardboard, glue and some pebbles.
Ice cream sticks can also be turned into beautiful photo frames! All you need is glue, stickers and some paint!
Here is an idea inspired by advent calendars – stick several envelopes on the wall of your dad’s room. Fill them with candy or other small items your dad likes. Finally, tell him he can open one envelope per day until Father’s Day. This is one of our favourite DIY Father’s Day gift ideas!
These cool bookmarks are among the most creative DIY Father’s Day gift ideas. Aren’t they awesome?
If you like reusing old materials, why not make some office organizers for your dad using books and decorated cans?
If your dad likes winter sports, how about making him these cute rice-filled fabric hand warmers?
These nifty pillowcases made from old shirts are a great project for those who like sewing!
If your dad has a green thumb, why not make him some creative gardening pots? These floppy disk-inspired ones are great. (Your dad is probably the only one who still remembers floppy disks anyway.)
Finally, some homemade cocktails in beautifully decorated bottles will definitely make any dad happy!
This concludes our list. We hope you enjoyed our DIY Father’s Day gift ideas!