How to grow a beautiful jasmine flower to add to your exterior
Lately, we have realised the importance of having flowers at home, especially with all the time we’ve spent there this past year. Growing flowers in your home may seem like a daunting task, but it is very rewarding. Flowers are beautiful, give off an amazing fragrance and can actually be a great addition to your decor. That is if you use them right. For example, white orchids can greatly impact a minimalistic interior. Today, however, we are going to talk about your exterior. Climbing flowers have been used as an exterior decor for years. In comes the hasmine flower – one of the most beautiful flowers in the world. So, here is how to grow it outside, as well as in a pot inside.
The jasmine is one of the most beautiful flowers in the world
In this article
What is a jasmine flower?
There are different types of jasmine and this is very important to know. First of all, there is decidious, meaning that the leaves fall during the autumn season, and then there is evergreen, which means it’s green all year long. On the other hand, jasmine can also be erect, spreading or climbing. Now if you want to grow them in a pot, it is better to select the erect type. If, however you want a beautiful decor addition on your balcony or in your garden, you can choose the spreading jasmine. And, finally, if you want a jasmine flower, which is going to start covering your house, pergola or any structure, you should go for the climbing one. Jasmines have small white flowers, which are also very fragrant.
You can grow jasmine in pots, as well as in your garden
How to plant jasmine in your garden?
Jasmine is a flower, which can withstand all kinds of temperatures. However, the best time to plant is either in spring or in autumn. If the weather is too cold or too hot, the flower may wither before having a chance to grow. So, how exactly should you plant it?
- Choose your spot and dig a whole, which is about 3 times wider than the root ball of the flower.
- Crumble the soil well and mix it with planting soil (you can also feed it with algae or manure).
- Dip the roots into water so that they rehydrate.
- Place some fertilizer on the bottom of the hole you’ve made in the ground and plant the flower.
- Fill with the rest of the soil you have already prepared and press gently.
- Finally, just water the newly planted jasmine and watch it grow.
Make sure you water it regularly especially during the summer
How to grow a jasmine flower?
As we have already mentioned once planted, this flower needs water regularly, especially during the hot summer months. Climbing jasmine needs something to climb onto. That is why, you should plant it next to a wall, a fence or a balcony. It doesn’t need a lot of maintenance. All you need to do is feed it some fertilizer every once in a while and prune it. Pruning is usually done in spring. This helps the growth of more flowers. All of these tips are true in regard to jasmine grown in pots, as well. Another tip we can give you is to sort of make a flower bed around your jasmine. Usually, as it grows upward, the bottom of the shrub remains empty of flowers and leaves. So, if you want to hide it a little bit, you can plant some more shrubs or even other climbing plants around it.
Letting the jasmine provide the shade in your garden
How to prune jasmine?
When it comes to jasmine pruning, there are a few things to know. First of all, pruning can promote more flower growth. And secondly, you can dictate the shape of the flower by pruning it. So, here is how to just that:
- Remove any dead stems. After all, we talked about jasmine being a decor addition. You wouldn’t want to have any vidible dried stems, that is why you should feel free to remove them.
- Remove any tangles. Usually all climbing plants have tangles, which don’t produce any flowers. Once again, feel free to remove them or at least cut out a portion of them, so that they can keep growing.
- Direct the growth of the flower. Any stem or vine that grows outside of your preferred area can be removed. That way, you can direct where the flower grows, otherwise it can completely take over your garden. Especially if you are just trying to have it wrap around a fence, or a garden pergola. Pruning in those cases is of utmost importance.
Jasmine is usually white, but there are certain variations, which can be colored
Jasmine also varies in the shape of its flowers
All variables however, are extremely beautiful