There is no doubt that fresh, homemade churros are one of the best sweet treats ever! They are sweet and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The best part about them, however, is that you can make your own batch of fresh homemade churros in 15 minutes! So, the next time you are watching a movie and get the sudden craving for sweet churros, just take out your apron and get to cooking. These delicious churros are perfect as a party snack, or a tasty ending to a family dinner. So, without further ado, let us show you how to make the best homemade churros ever!
Churros are the ultimate sugary treat and we will show you how to make them!
What are churros?
Churros are a classic Mexican sweet treat that has become more popular in the United States. You make churros by using Choux pastry that’s been cooked in hot oil and then dusted with cinnamon sugar. Churros are a favorite carnival or fair treat. They are soft and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. And there is no doubt in our minds that you will not be able to get enough of their sweet coating, crisp edges, and squishy soft centers. So, why not make some delicious sweet churros yourself!
Churros originated in Mexico, but they are loved all over allover the world
They are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside
We decided to make a batch of warm churros, and they turned out so good, we just had to share it with all of you! In this video, you will find the step-by-step instructions for our baked churros with chocolate. They are warm, crispy, and ready to be devoured! But beware, the moment you make a batch for your family, and they fall in love with the taste, you will be making these at least once a week!
Watch our YouTube video for in-depth visual instructions:
Homemade Sweet Churros Recipe
Total Time: 15 minutes
What you will need:
- 225ml water
- 110 grams butter
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 140gr whole-wheat flour
- 3 large eggs
- cane sugar (optional for decoration)
- dark chocolate (optional for decoration)
- Croquant (optional for decoration)
- First, start by preheating your oven and adding the water to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Then add the chunks of softened butter and the brown sugar inside and stir well.
- After the butter and sugar have melted, and the mixture is smooth, proceed by adding the vanilla extract and a dash of salt. Keep stirring and mixing the mixture often.
- Then add the whole wheat flour gradually, while stirring. You cant to make sure there are no lumps in the mixture!
- Continue mixing and cooking until you get a well-formed churro dough.
- After that, remove the pan from the heat and after a minute or two, add the 3 eggs.
- Continue mixing until you get a smooth, lump-free mixture!
- Then add the churro dough to a piping bag and start shaping your churros. Use a baking pan lined with a baking sheet.
- After you are done piping your churros, bake them at 200 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- When the churros and nice and golden, take them out of the oven and let them cool off for a few minutes.
- After that, carefully not to burn yourself, dust each one in cane sugar.
- Next, dip half of the churro into the melted chocolate sauce and then immediately sprinkle with Croquant, so they can stick.
- Finally, wait for the chocolate to set just slightly, and then take a big bite of this sugary churro delight!
Gather all of your ingredients beforehand
You can choose whatever toppings and flavor you like the most
We choose a rich dark chocolate sauce for the churros
Using warm eggs is best when baking
The coating of the churros will be sweet and sugary
Start, by adding the water to a saucepan
Then add the chunks of softened butter and the brown sugar inside and stir well
Add a splash of vanilla extract
Then add the whole wheat flour gradually, while stirring
Remove the pan from the heat and after a minute or two, add the 3 eggs
Continue mixing until you get a smooth, lump-free mixture
Then add the churro dough to a piping bag and get ready to pipe
Start piping the shape of the churros onto the baking paper
After you are done piping your churros, bake them at 200 degrees for 18-20 minutes
Then get your toppings and get ready to decorate your homemade churros
Dust each churro in cane sugar but be careful not to burn your fingers
Next, dip half of the churro into the melted chocolate sauce
Be careful not to burn your fingers if the churros are too hot
Then sprinkle the churros with your topping of choice
Your delicious homemade churros are ready!
Tips for making the best sweet churros
- Use a closed star piping tip for more defined churros edges. This results in a crispier exterior and a more traditional churro appearance.
- Allow the dough to rest before adding the egg – you don’t want the egg to scramble in the batter. Keep in mind that the dough will still be warm when you add the egg, so have the mixer ready to go as soon as you add the egg and start mixing.
- Warm them up before serving. There’s nothing like a warm churro straight from the oven. This is how you make best friends – anyone who takes a bite of your homemade churros will fall in love with you instantly!
Try out different types of topping to find your favorite one, experimenting is fun
Now it is time for you to make some warm churros and share them with your loved ones!
Make sure to check out the rest of our delicious recipes on our YouTube channel! There you will find so many unique and yummy recipes to try out. Make sure to let us know what you think of this homemade churro recipe in the comments below the video, and tell us what else you would like to see us make!