Grandmothers Semmelknödel – The Best German Bread Dumplings You Will Try
Ah, the classic Semmelknödel. These German bread dumplings are a real delight. They are delicious, they are super easy to make, and they can be eaten in a ton of different ways. Plus they are a great way to use up any old, stale bread. Originating from the Bavarian region of Germany, these dumplings can be enjoyed with tomato sauce, drenched in gravy, added to soups or eaten as they are. Buttery, soft and packed with flavors, you can make these dumplings for any occasion – lunch, dinner, a party, or even as a snack. Let’s get cooking!
These German bread dumplings are a real delight for any occasion
Having a quick look through how the recipe should go is always a good way to ensure no mistakes will happen during the cooking process. That’s why we’ve created a simple, quick tutorial for you to watch before tackling this recipe on your own. It will help give you a sense of direction and how the steps go, so you don’t worry during the process.
Check out our easy-to-follow video tutorial over on YouTube
German Bread Dumplings Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Stove Top
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Ice Cream Scoop
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 25 grams Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 60 grams Flour
- 250 ml Milk
- handful Parsley, chopped
- 250 grams Old Bread, baked
- Tomato Sauce
- Fresh Parsley
- Put a pan on medium heat on the stove top. When the pan has heated up, add the olive oil and butter. Let the butter melt and disperse it all around the pan.
- To the pan add in the chopped onion, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything together in order to coat the onions well. Then cook until they are nice and soft.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and add the flour. Mix them until everything is incorporated well.
- While constantly stirring with the whisk, add in the milk little by little.
- After the milk has been incorporated into the mixture add in the parsley and mix once again.
- To the milk mixture, add the cooked onions and mix once again.
- In a big bowl, add in all your bread croutons. Pour the milk mixture on top of them.
- Mix the bread and the mixture. With your hands, or some type of masher, mash together all the ingredients until the bread has started to break down and is nice and soft.
- With the help of an ice cream scoop, start forming little balls. When you have used up all the mixture, place all the formed balls in the refrigerator for around half an hour. This will help them keep their form when cooking.
- When the dumplings have chilled, put a pot with salted water on the stove top. Bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling start dropping in the dumplings. Boil them from ten to twelve minutes.
- With a strainer take them out.
- Plate your dumplings and cover in tomato sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley.
First step: When the pan has heated up, add the olive oil and butter
Second step: To the pan add in the chopped onion
Third step: Add in the salt, and black pepper. Mix everything together
Fourth step: In a bowl, crack the two eggs
Fifth step: Add the flour and mix until everything is incorporated well
Sixth step: While constantly stirring with the whisk, add in the milk little by little
Seventh step: Add parsley and mix
Eighth step: To the milk mixture, add the cooked onions and mix once again
Ninth step: In a big bowl, mix together the bread and mixture
Tenth step: With the help of an ice cream scoop, start forming little balls
Eleventh step: Place all the formed balls in the refrigerator for around half an hour
Twelfth step: Boil the dumplings in salt water for ten to twelve minutes
Thirteenth step: Plate your dumplings and garnish in tomato sauce and fresh parsley
Fourteenth step: Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Every recipe has its own little secrets. You know, all those little details, substitutions, and tricks that can make it taste not just “good”, but amazing. These little things that can help you make the final product divine and can help you give the confidence to experiment with your cooking and learn. That’s why here we want to share with you all the details you need to know to make these delightful bread dumplings just perfect and how to make them to your liking. Always remember that in the end cooking is a form of art, and you are the artist. This means you can change, add, or remove anything you like to this recipe. Just make sure the end product is to your taste bud’s liking.
Every recipe has its own little secrets
While you can make these with fresh bread, you will have to bake it in order to make it harder in texture. However, the beauty of the Semmelknödel is that by making them you not only get a tasty treat, but you find a way to repurpose that stale bread in your pantry. That’s why we recommend using naturally staled bread.
Another great thing about these dumplings is that they are easily freezable. This means you can do double, and triple batches and then just pop what’s left in the freezer for another day. Then, when you need them, all you do is let them thaw and reheat them. Good as new!
Use stale bread instead of a fresh one
These delightful dumplings can be drenched in gravy, enjoyed in soup or just as they are. That’s one of the reasons why they are so great! If you enjoyed making this yummy recipe, make sure to check out what over treats we have to offer over on our YouTube Channel. And if you need even more inspiration, just take a look on our website. We have a recipe for every craving. Want some sweetness in your life? Try these gooey, chocolaty air fryer brownies. Or maybe you are searching for a savory, easy dinner recipe? Then this crispy, roasted cod is just the thing you are looking for! There is something for everyone, just take your pick. Oh, and make sure to let us know what you thought of this recipe, as well as what you would like to see from us next time over in our YouTube comments.
These delightful dumplings can be drenched in gravy, enjoyed in soup or just as they are