The Best French Onion Soup: Flavorful And Creamy
The weather is colder, which means it’s soup season! And is there anything more comforting and satisfying on a chilly, winter day than a bowl of French onion soup with some toasted bread on the side? This classic French onion soup recipe is rich, creamy, cheesy, and super easy to make at home! It only requires a few simple ingredients to create this masterpiece, and you will fall in love with it. This recipe is the perfect choice if you are looking for something wholesome to eat, or you are ion need of a quick lunch or dinner recipe. Let’s see how to make it.
This classic French onion soup recipe is rich, creamy, cheesy, and super easy to make
Before you start cooking up this lovely, rich soup, we recommend you give our video tutorial a look. While this recipe is super easy to prepare, it’s always nice to look through a visual guide beforehand. It will help give you a sense of direction and how the steps go, so you don’t worry during the process.
We recommend you give our video tutorial a look
French Onion Soup Recipe
Is there anything more satisfying than a bowl of French onion soup?
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 or 1 and a half hour
- Stove top
- Pot lid
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Wooden spatula
- Oven-Safe Bowl
- 3/4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 20 grams Butter
- 6 Yellow Onions
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2/3 cups White Wine
- Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- Shredded Gruyère Cheese
- Bruschetta with Butter
- Start by prepping your ingredients. Slice all the onions thinly, grate your cheese, measure everything and so on.
- Put a big pot on the stove top on medium heat and drizzle some olive oil inside. Then add the butter.
- Let the butter melt. Then to the pot add in all the sliced onions, brown sugar, salt, and mix.
- Cover the pot with a lid, and cook everything while covered for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- When the onions have become nice, caramelized and soft, it’s time to add in the flour, the white wine, fresh thyme, bay leaves, and vegetable broth. Mix everything and leave it to boil. Once it’s boiled, lower the heat, cover it, and simmer for at least ten minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and pour a couple of ladles of soup in your bowl of choice.
- Cover the soup with a generous amount of shredded cheese and top with two slices of bruschetta with butter. Then top the slices with some more cheese.
- Switch the oven to the broiler at 200 degrees. Place the bowl of soup in the oven on a rack around 6 inches from the heat for four to five minutes.
- Garnish with some fresh thyme and enjoy warm!
First step: In the pot add in the olive oil and butter. Let the butter melt
Second step: To the pot, then add in all the sliced onions
Third step: Add in the brown sugar and salt
Fourth step: Mix everything together with a wooden spatula
Fifth step: Cover the pot with a lid, and cook everything while covered for fifteen to twenty minutes
Sixth step: When the onions have become nice and soft, add in the flour
Seventh step: Add in the white wine
Eighth step: Then add the fresh thyme, bay leaves, and vegetable broth
Ninth step: Mix everything, leave it to boil, cover it, and let simmer for at least ten minutes
Tenth step: Take the soup off the heat and pour a couple of ladles of soup in your bowl
Eleventh step: Cover the soup with a generous amount of shredded cheese, then with two slices of bruschetta with butter. Then top the slices with some more cheese.
Twelfth step: Broil the cheese for around four to five minutes
Thirteenth step: Garnish with some fresh thyme
Fourteenth step: Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Every recipe has its own little secrets. You know, all those little details, substitutions, and tricks that can make it taste not just “good”, but ethereal. These little things that can help you make the final product divine and can help you give the confidence to experiment with your cooking and learn. That’s why here we want to share with you all the details you need to know to make this creamy French onion soup just perfect and how to make it to your liking. Always remember that in the end, cooking is an art form, and you are the artist. This means you can change, add, or remove anything you like to this recipe. Just make sure the end product is to your taste bud’s liking, and you stay true as much as you can to the original dish.
This recipe is traditionally topped with Gruyère or Parmesan cheese
You can make French onion soup with any type of onion, including white or red onions. However, we recommend using thinly sliced yellow onions that the soup is traditionally made with.
This recipe is traditionally topped with Gruyère or Parmesan cheese, however you can also use other types of cheeses as well. Just make sure they are types of cheese that melt well. Some soup variations are topped with three types of cheeses for maximum flavor, you can also do that. Use Gouda, Swiss, Fontina, or Mozzarella as substitutes.
You can make French onion soup with any type of onion
This delicious French onion soup is the best thing on a cold, winter day (or any day really). If you enjoyed making this amazing recipe, make sure to check out what other yummy recipes we have to offer on our YouTube Channel. And if you need even more inspiration, just take a look at our other recipes. We have a recipe for every craving, holiday or party! Maybe you want something sweet, like some whole-wheat cinnamon rolls? Or maybe you are looking for a quick dinner recipe. Then try this creamy, rich coconut shrimp soup! Either way, we have what you are searching for. Oh, and make sure to let us know what you thought of this recipe, as well as what you would like to see from us next time over in our YouTube comments.
This delicious French onion soup is the best thing on a cold, winter day
- Santa’s All-Time Favorite Healthy Christmas Cookie Recipe
- Try This Amazing Sweet And Crunchy Tofu Recipe
- Grandmothers Semmelknödel – The Best German Bread Dumplings
- Super Soft & Chocolatey Gluten-Free Air-Fryer Brownie