If you are running out of ideas and ways to keep your kids entertained, we feel you. This past year has been very difficult for moms as well as for kids. Social distancing and staying at home really did a number on us. So, it is only natural that we don’t really know what to do with ourselves anymore. It is even worse for children, however. They have so much energy and nothing to do with it. That is exactly why today we have decided to give a few ideas for fun outdoor activities for kids of all ages. After all, spring is here, summer is approaching and finally your kids can enjoy the backyard and you can have some time for yourself. What’s more, these fun games will definitely keep them occupied for long periods of time.
If you are running out of ideas to keep you children entertained, we are here to help
First off, let’s start with a fun DIY game
Outdoor games for kids – sponge bombs
- 6 or 8 sponges in different colors
- cotton string or twine
You need just these three things to have fun
- Cut the sponges lenghtwise into 4 pieces.
- Take 4 pieces of different sponges so they are multicolored and stack four more on top of them.
- Wrap the string around them, tie it and pull tightly.
- Dip in water and start having fun!
These are so easy to make
Source: Natural Beach Living
DIY chalk paint that’s easy to wash off
How to make chalk paint?
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cornstarch
- food coloring
- muffin tin
- paint brushes
- Mix the water and cornstarch until smooth liquid is achieved.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin tin.
- Add the different food coloring to each cavity in the muffin tin and stir with a toothpick or paintbrush.
Source: One Crazy Mom
Now it is time to get the best outside cinema experience
Fun things to do outside
- twin bed sheet
- 1.5-inch ribbon, 8 feet
- 2 wood dowels 1.5-inches x 72 inches
- 2 solid brass grommets 1/2-inch
- sewing machine
- grommet kit
- measuring tape
- fabric shears
Easy step by step tutorial in pictures
- Cut the ribbon into 4 24-inches long strips and set 2 of them aside. Fold the other 2 in half and sew at the 2-inch mark. Then add a large grommet between the stitch and the fold to both of them.
- Fold the bed sheet lengthwise and sew the bottom edges together along the seam.
- Open the inside layer to show the inside edge using scissors.
- Measure 2.5-inches at center fold and sew across.
- Slide first dowel into stitches center fold.
- Tie the ribbons onto both ends of the top dowel and trim the ends.
- Slide the second dowel on to bottom. Once again, tie the ribbons on both ends and trim ends.
- Hang onto a wall or fence.
Add a few pillows and cushions to create the perfect ouside cinema experience
Source: Lia Griffith
Fun idea for a soap boat race
Outdoor activities for kids
- bar of soap
- rain gutter
- fabric and scissors
- glue gun
- Cut small triangles out of the fabric and glue to the top of the toothpick.
- Stick the toothpick into the soap.
- Lay out the rain gutter and stick a hose on one end and let the water tun.
- Place the soap in the gutter and let the race begin.
Source: I Heart Nap Time
Backyard fishing for kids and adults alike
Games to play outside
- bait fish (plastic, not real ones)
- metal paper clips
- wire cutters
- small tree branches
- hot glue
This is a very fun activity for the whole family
- Remove the hooks from the bait fish and lace a paper clip through the loop.
- Tie the twine to the end of the tree branch. At the other end glue the twine in between two magnets.
- Fill a kiddie pool with water, add the fish bait and start fishing.
Source: Mom Endeavors
DIY fun bubble snakes
Fun things to do outside
- wool sock
- water bottle
- duct tape
- bubble solution
- Cut the bottom of the water bottle and the bottom 4 inches of the sock.
- Place the sock over the end of the water bottle and wrap with duct tape.
- Pour the bubble solution into a shallow container.
- Dip the sock into the solution.
- Blow into the bottle to create these fun bubble snakes.
Here’s the step by step tutorial
Source: Eclectic Momsense
Music chairs is one of the most fun activities out there
Here’s even more ideas for outdoor activities for kids
- Create a theater stage for your kids by hanging two not see-through shower curtains onto a line tied to two opposite trees.
- Create a mini obstacle course by placing wood stumps far enough apart so that your kids can reach them. This can be played as a version of the floor is lava.
- Create a water war by blowing up a few balloons and filling them with water. The perfect game for the hottest summer days.
- Grab different toys, such as hula hoops, cones, pylons and organize an obstacle course for your kids. This would be a great activity for motor skills improvement.
- Grab a white shower curtain and tape it to the ground. Make a tic-tac-toe grid using colored tape. Grab a few frisbees and let the fun begin.
Water balloons are always fun
We’ve got even more ideas for outdoor fun for kids
- Camp out in your backyard. You can make it a full camping experience. Put up a tent, build a fire, grab some marshmellows and enjoy the outdoors.
- Go on a nature walk and explore the flora and fauna. Tell your kids to collect flowers and/or bugs that they find interesting. Once you get home make a collage with them while teaching them which is which. That way they will not only be active, but will also be able to learn new things.
- Help the birds by building a birdhouse. Help your kids to create a birdhouse with popsicle sticks, decorate it and hang it somewhere. Now all you have to do is sit back and observe the visitors.
- Organize a treasure hunt. Use your backyard to create a treasure hunt with fun clues for your kids. What’s more, you can get the other moms on the block in on the fun and organize a treasure hunt for all the kids across the neighborhood.
- Create watery fun for the hottest summer days. Purchase colorful plastic sheeting and secure it to the ground. Let the water run downhill for a fun slip ‘n slide.
There are just so many fun activities that will keep your kids entertained all day long
Hang a large chalk board on a fence or wall and let your kid get creative
Let them play any type of sport – soccer, football, basketball, they are all great activities
Biking is another great activity for the whole family
So many fun outdoor activities for kids
Build an obstacle course for the children and have a surprise ready for the winner
Eating candy while playing, sure why not? Whoever collects more candy with the straw, gets to have it
Allow your children to express themselves with some drawing and painting