Is it OK to Let Your Cat Sleep in Bed With You? Pros & Cons
The debate over whether it is a good idea to sleep with your cat has been going on for years. Sharing a bed with your cat can be a comforting and bonding experience or a major source of stress and discomfort. In this article, we will share both the advantages and disadvantages of sharing a bed with your kitty. What’s more, if the disadvantages are not that big of a problem for you, we will share some important tips for how to sleep with your cat. This will help limit any troubles that might arise, and help your bond become stronger! So, without further ado, let’s see if it is actually okay to let your cat sleep in the bed with you.
Do you know it is okay to let your cat sleep in the bed with you
Basically, cats are the ones who take the initiative to sleep with their owners. You cannot make a cat do anything she does not want to! However, it is important to keep in mind that this habit affects both pets and humans. So, let’s take a look at some of the benefits for both of you sharing a bed together.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits for both of you sharing a bed together
- This improves your bond with each other. Physical contact is a direct and effective way to bond with your cat, especially in such a vulnerable state as sleep.
- Cat’s purring relaxes you and helps you sleep better. This sound produced by cats is soothing to humans, and it might help you go to sleep faster.
- A cat in your bed provides warmth. The average body temperature of cats is between 38-39ºC. On colder nights, their presence in bed is soothing and warm.
- Pets help you start the day well. Waking up with your cat will always make you happy. It is usually accompanied by lots of cuddling, which also helps us wake up faster.
Letting your cat sleep in bed with you has some interesting advantages
- Your pet might get stressed. If at some point you decide that you no longer want to sleep with your cat, then you will create a stressful situation if you don’t make the transition properly. Your pet may feel that you are pushing him out of the sleeping spot for no apparent reason.
- More restless cats can cause problems at night.
- More territorial cats may exhibit aggressive behavior at night. They want to ensure they maintain control of their sleeping area.
- It is not hygienic and can be potentially dangerous. If your cat has access to the outdoors, be aware that it may be carrying parasites or diseases that can be transmitted to humans.
- Not good for the health of sensitive individuals. The presence of hair, epithelium, and mites on bedding can cause an allergic reaction at any time. So, if you are a sensitive person, sleeping with your cat is not the greatest idea for your health and well-being.
Nevertheless, there are some important disadvantages you need to consider
How to Sleep With Your Cat: Important Tips
Don’t let your cat go outside
There are many reasons why we recommend this. To begin with, there is a greater danger of contamination for them, either with pathogens from the environment or with diseases transmitted by other cats. This is a basic form of prevention for both you and your kitty!
Don’t let your cat go outside because there is a big chance of transmitting diseases
Brush your cat
With regular combing, you will prevent the animal from letting too much hair into the environment and therefore onto the sheets. The frequency will depend on the type of coat. Also, make sure to regularly check your cat for fleas and mites!
Keeping up with your cats’ basic hygiene is important always
Clean your home thoroughly and regularly
It is true that it is impossible for your home to be 100% free of hair. However, you should maintain strict hygiene in the places where you share time with your cats, such as the bed and sofa.
Cleaning your home regularly will make all the difference for your family
Use an anti-dust and mites cover
They are usually available in pharmacies. These covers completely insulate the mattress so that dust mites and the cat’s fur cannot penetrate the mattress.
An anti-dust and mites cover will protect your mattress from bacteria
Go for regular veterinary check-ups
The best way to prevent diseases in your cat is to have an up-to-date vaccination and deworming schedule. This is also super important for you in the case of zoonotic diseases, a group of infectious and parasitic diseases that can be transmitted from animals to humans and vice versa. Have regular check-ups of your pet’s general health and well-being.
The best way to prevent diseases in your cat is to have regular veterinary check-ups
It is always best if your cat sleeps in its own soft bed at the end of the day
These were the advantages and disadvantages of sleeping in the same bed as your cat. It is your decision whether to let your cat sleep in the same bed as you, but try to take precautions. This will help protect both you and your family, as well as your favorite purring creature!
Now you know the advantages and disadvantages of letting your cat sleep in bed with you
- What Do Cats Actually Like? Here are 9 Cat-Favorite Activities
- Why Does My Cat Knead Me? 6 Common Reasons
- Hypoallergenic Cats: 7 Best Cat Breeds For People With Allergies
- The 7 Best Kid-Friendly Cat Breeds: Loving and Calm
- How to Stop Cats From Scratching Your Furniture & Peeing Everywhere